The Clear-the-List challenge is hosted by Lindsay (from Lindsay Does Languages), Kris Broholm (from Actual Fluency), Angel Pretot (from French Lover) and Shannon (from Eurolinguiste). The goal is to share monthly goals and support each other while learning foreign languages.
Review of July
- Singing routine with LyricsTraining –> kinda. The first week I used LyricsTraining, but then I stopped. I was focusing too much on trying to get the writing right instead of listening and singing. And I don’t know if it was that good for my oral comprehension skills. So I changed my routine and tried different things, still using songs. I also started watching Finnished (a YouTube channel for Finnish learners, in Finnish, with Finnish and English subtitles, à la Alberto from Italiano Automatico).
- daily and weekly goals –> not done. at all. Doesn’t really matter. I put in the work with songs anyways.
I also did other things that I hadn’t planned:
- finally found a theme I like for the blog. I tried different ones, it took some time, but it was worth it. I’m glad with this one.
- I realized I hadn’t published anything other than clear-the-list posts these past few months. I like writing, but I don’t like writing long long posts. I always felt like you had to write 1200/2000-word posts to blog. Like it was the industry standard. Then I stumbled upon Seth Godin’s blog. He writes a post a day, but his posts are really short. I love this kind of blogging, and works better with my short attention span. So I started a new category: “Thoughts of the day”, where I write short posts about what’s on my mind (mostly language learning and health).
- I updated my about page.
- I updated the YouTube resources pages. It was a real mess before. So I created single pages for each language, and I separated the channels in two categories: with subtitles and without subtitles. Each channel of the category “with subtitles” has an indication of the kind of subtitles you can find (English, French, …, on every video, only a couple of videos, …).
Goals for August
I’m going to keep it simple for August. Every day, I’ll take a song, listen to it a couple of times, read the Finnish lyrics, and sing along. After that, I’ll read the English translation with LyricsTranslate. Then I’ll listen to the song without reading the lyrics to improve my oral comprehension skills. And finally, I’ll sing again until I’m comfortable with the song. Here are some of my favorite Finnish artists so far: Cheek, SiniSabotage, Erin, Robin, and SANNI.
I also said I’d make a 3-month video of my progress in Finnish. I don’t feel like I have much to say in Finnish yet. But I’ll make a video where I speak different languages, like how I’ve learned them.
That’s it for this month. Thanks for reading. Good luck with your goals, and see you in September!